Journey of menopause
What is Menopause?
Menopause is a natural event which happens for every woman. Also known as the ‘change of life’, Menopause marks the end of the monthly cycle of menstruation in a woman’s life. Menopause takes place when you haven’t experienced any menstrual bleeding for 12 months. Women general reach menopause between the ages of 45 and 55.
What happens in the lead up to Menopause?
As you approach menopause, hormone levels begin to fluctuate, and you may notice changes in your menstrual cycle. Typical signs of this might be:
- Your cycles may become longer, shorter or irregular
- Bleeding may become lighter
- You experience unpredictable or heavier bleeding
Your hormones will eventually reduce to a point where your ovaries cease releasing eggs and your periods will stop all together, and your menopause is reached.
What are the Signs of Menopause?
Most women experience symptoms during Menopause. Here are some symptoms which you may experience:
- Difficulty sleeping
- Hot flushes
- Weight gain
- Aches and pains
- Night sweats
- Reduces sex drive
- Dry skin and hair
There are some simple things you can do to help ease the symptoms of menopause. Here are a few suggestions:
- Avoiding things such as alcohol, caffeine and spicy foods which help reduce hot flushes
- Getting regular exercise which helps you feel good about yourself and assists with the feeling of a low mood
- Reducing, or ideally eliminating, stress in your everyday life
- Hormone replacement therapy, although it is strongly recommended that you consult with you doctor before embarking on this level of treatment
Need Further Help?
Chemistworks is committed to the ongoing good health and wellbeing of its customers. If you would like advice about managing menopause, come and talk to one our friendly staff at a store near you.