Understanding sexual libido
Your Libido, or your sex drive or desire for sex, varies from one person to another. It can vary depending on your preferences and life circumstances. Your sexual desire rises and falls over time, as you age, and sometimes for no apparent reason. It’s not uncommon for people to experience a low drive for sex from time to time. Situations which may alter your libido are things like your relationship with your partner, your health, fitness, and your relaxation times.
During the early stages of a new couple’s relationship, having a lot of sex is commonplace. However, over time the amount of sex you have naturally slows down. A busy life on the other hand can leave some people too tired or preoccupied even to think about sex. The important thing to note is that if you are not worried about your sex drive or a reduction in the amount of sex you have doesn’t cause you or relationship any problems then there’s no need to seek professional help.
A Normal Libido
Simply put, there is no ‘normal’ when it comes to how often you have or desire sex. Some people have sex more often than others. Some have sex or at least think about it every day. Others may have or desire it less frequently. It all stems on what you prefer and your life circumstances.
Causes of Low Libido
There are a number of reasons why you might experience a lower sex drive. Here are a few:
- Performance anxiety – some people find sex painful. Some men in particular, may experience premature ejaculation which can cause anxiety
- Fatigue – which leaves you feeling too tried for sex
- Familiarity – your desire for sex with the same partner can lessen over time
- Depression – may cause tiredness, a feeling of sadness or loss of interest for sex
- Time and privacy – everyday life and work pressures may leave you with not enough time for intimacy and sex
Improving your chances of a Healthy Libido
Leading a healthy life can promote your ability to have a healthy libido. Here are a few suggestions which you will find helpful:
- Try to maintain a healthy weight.
- Maintain a regular exercise routine
- Reduce the amount of alcohol you consume
- Avoid using illegal drugs
- Avoid, or better still, give up smoking
Need Further Help?
Chemistworks is committed to the ongoing good health and wellbeing of its customers. If you would like advice about managing your sexual libido, come and talk to one our friendly staff at a store near you.